11/30/2013

Make chalkboard paint - DIY.- Home school idea - Craft

DIY Chalkboard Paint.

So easy  & works on most surfaces & even furniture big or small.

chalkboard 2
As I was setting up the classroom for homeschooling my 4 younger children I was given school supplies from others. I was given a perfect size chalkboard but it had been used so much that the paint was not able to be wrote on. So remembering there was a DIY recipe for chalkboard paint that I could use any color flat paint & use baking soda. I went searching for that recipe, & the search led me to "Make your own Chalkboard & Paint" I read it & knew I could alter it to fit my needs, I even came up with a great way to mix it.

My Version of DIY Chalkboard paint.

What you need:
Flat paint (a quart or pint would be plenty big enough)
Baking soda
Container with a lid (such as an empty spice shaker or jar)
Paintbrush (I used a kids medium size pictured)
Small piece of cardboard to test your paint on
The item you will be painting the chalkboard on

You can use any color flat paint you want, you can even use the paint on the discount rack at the paint store that was made & returned as long as it is flat. You can also use your favorite craft paint (acrylic) as long as it is not glossy (you might want to be wary of water-soluble paints though)
baking soda
Directions:
Step 1: add 1/2 cup of paint to your container
Step 2: add 1 tbsp. of baking soda to your paint (I used 2 tbsp. but start low & build on it)
Step 3: add the lid to the container & shake it hard for 30 seconds or so, take off the lid & double-check that the baking soda mixed in.
DIY chalkboard paintStep 4: testing paint to see if it needs more baking soda, lightly dunk bristles of paintbrush in paint & pant a small circle about the size of a 50 cent piece on the cardboard piece, spread it thin so it dries fast.
Step 5: in just a few minutes the test should be dry enough to check it, simply rub your finger across the paint feeling it to see if it feels your desired roughness (kind of like fine grain sand paper) If it is not rough enough for you add 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda & repeat step 4 & 5, I personally added another tbsp. but you need to find your preference.
Step 6: paint on the first layer of paint on your chalkboard surface, allow first coat to totally & completely dry, do not paint the next coat until no wet spots at all remain.
Step 7: paint second coat of paint allow to totally dry & paint third coat of paint, if desired repeat for a fourth coat of paint but 3 coats worked great for my project.

chalkboard
Just put the lid back on the container & stored the chalkboard paint right in it.
Now an important note from the page above I linked to with the original recipe: After it has thoroughly dried make sure you SEASON your chalk board- this means that after your paint is absolutely dry you must cover it completely with chalk (using the side of the stick is fine) and then erase it. Your board is now seasoned and ready for use. (article here)

Other ideas for chalkboard paint.

chalkboard 3The container the paint is stored in: we enjoyed also painting a section of the outside of the container we mixed the chalkboard paint in, that way we can tell what is in it & we used chalk to label it for a neat idea.

Personal desk or travel chalkboard: We also made the kids smaller personal chalkboard for them to use at their desks, I let them paint them as the second day of school arts & craft project. We just used thick cardboard cut into a square the size they wanted it.
Note: these only needed 1 to 2 coats of paint.

Painting furniture: I found lots of great examples online of desks, dressers, nightstand, lamp bases, footboard of beds, painting the section on dressers & beds where the mirrors either broke or fell out, really some amazing ideas for kids rooms. Most said they did 4 coats of paint.

Painting doors & walls: I also saw great ideas for painting whole walls, part of a wall, adding frames or border around them & painting doors & cupboard doors & even painting refrigerator doors. Again 3 to 4 coats of paint.

chalkboard 4School desk tops: I know I mentioned desks above but I am mentioning it again because I think doing the school desktops & maybe even our craft table top might be a great future project since the table for sure needs redone.

Fun, Fun, Fun

This was a great project for the kids to help do & for their input on ideas to paint & on colors, now go buy lots of chalk, some paint & a box of baking soda & have fun with the kids. My teenagers even loved this & have future closet door ideas of their own.
_______________________________________________________
The information on this site it intended for general inquiry, research & informational purposes only & should not be considered a substitute or replacement for trained medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Facebook Page: Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
You can also follow me on: Pinterest & Twitter & Google+
Thank you for supporting my Facebook pages, Blog & sharing with your friends.
Cheree of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
_______________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment