12/06/2013

Baking soda uses for your everyday life

I thought I might ramble on about one of my favorite all around products, Baking soda!

Baking soda:
I think I could write a song or poem in honor of this great white powder "Ode to baking soda" maybe hmmm
Yes you can bake with it, & add it to tea & coffee
Baking soda to cure your aches, or to stop the sting of a bee
Its great used for face, skin, & hair, And great as a soap and body wash too
Baking soda everywhere, in the kitchen, the laundry and to clean the silverware
Baking soda for health, relieving heartburn & balancing PH, I hope I did not forget to many things it can do!

Ok I am not the best poet but it's not really my area, so I wont quit my day job :)
Yes baking soda is not a cure-all but its one of those great products that comes mighty close. & when mixed with other natural things can achieve greatness. Baking soda in our home is used for all ages & my Teens love its many uses.
Check out this blog post I did on using baking soda for allergies

We love baking soda

In our house we have a box of baking soda by the kitchen sink, by the bathroom sink & the bathtub for fast clean ups, toothpaste, deodorant, face wash & as hand soap & body wash, in the fridge for deodorizing & in so many DIY products, a box of baking soda in our house goes pretty fast with all of its uses

Yup we are crazy for baking soda, sometimes I am so bad at adding baking soda to things that when I hand my husband something to eat or drink he looks at me kinda strange and says "Hey does this have baking soda in it?" Ok so maybe I don't go that overboard with it (everything in moderation). But after months of him telling me it does not make a good soap to get black gunk & greasy oil off his arms & hands, one day I heard him asking what happened to the baking soda? So baby steps folks because he still says baking soda does not work lol.

Baking soda is one of those things if someone comes to me with an issue it is possible I will give them baking soda as the answer (&/or ACV).
I might just be the baking soda queen & all my kids would agree, but even they tell others how great it is. Even my teens ask for it & use it. You can almost guarantee my purse will have baking soda in it just in case (but what I carry in my purse might just deserve a blog post all on its own)

What do you do if you get a headache, stomach ache, heartburn or other aches & pains? Well you could reach for 1 tsp. of baking soda stirred one minute in 4 to 8 oz. of water and drink it, it works amazing for many people for all kinds of pain.

I could go on & on about all baking soda can do for health such as balancing body PH all the way to curing cancer but I might need a week to cover it all. Go here for more ideas on using Baking soda for health.

Make sure to also check out my Blog series: How to be Green & Healthy: Room by room, with lots of ways to use baking soda cleaning almost everything.
NEWSFLASH: Baking soda does not contain aluminum here & here
Info straight from Arm & Hammer's Facebook page, where they responded to a question about Aluminum: Arm & Hammer Thanks for your question. We are happy to tell you that ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda does not contain aluminum, parabens, colorants or animal-derived ingredients. ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda is pure, versatile, effective, safe, and affordable for baking, household and personal care uses. Thanks for being an ARM & HAMMER fan!
I used baking soda in my cancer treatment so I know how wonderful baking soda is, I just found this awesome blog post on Baking soda & Cancer: Baking Soda is Proving to be an Effective Treatment For Cancer

Baking soda antiseptic PH balancer: When baking soda is combined with water the resulting reaction turns baking soda into a natural non toxic PH balancing mild antiseptic, according to the textbook "Biology: Life on Earth with Physiology." And it is rare for anyone to have an allergic reaction because its only ingredients are sodium, hydrogen carbon and oxygen.
The makes baking soda a great natural DIY cleaner & great... for skin care & wound care.
So instead lets cover some of the other uses

Baking soda made from soda ash or sodium carbonate, this mineral has the ability to balance  the naturally made pH acidic and pH alkaline that resides in all living things.  Including: bacteria, mold, mildew and a host of many other natural odor-causing organisms  can be neutralized with the use of baking soda.

Baking soda & some of the ways we use it:

Baking soda & Lemon juice face exfoliate & mask
  • 3 parts baking soda
  • 1 part lemon juice (Fresh juice works best)
mix together to for a paste, use more or less liquid to get the consistency you desire. Use a wash cloth & rub gently in circles on wet face to exfoliate, if desired leave on 2 minutes to 10 minutes then rinse off, pat dry & rub on raw coconut oil .

Baking soda as shampoo (no poo)
Work into hair just like shampoo, let sit a few minutes, rinse & repeat if needed (follow with a DIY conditioner like ACV, citrus vinegar, or lemon juice in warm water)

More shampoo recipes & no Poo ideas

Cleaning with baking soda

You can use baking soda to scrub sinks, counters appliances, tub, oven, stove you name it, just make into a paste with warm water, Vinegar, lemon juice or peroxide & scrub, you can also add a couple of drops of natural liquid soap or Dish liquid if needed.

More DIY cleaning

Baking soda in the laundry

for softer clothes add baking soda in the rinse cycle, if you have a HE machine mix with water or peroxide first, I add 1/4 a cup of baking soda to most of my loads in my HE machine, I also use it in the machine cleaning cycle

Fabric softener with baking soda (I use in my HE)
  • you need 1 gallon jug
  • 1 and  1/2 cups  baking soda
  • 1 and 1/2 cups Epsom salt
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • 1 cup lemon juice
  • 20 to 30 drops of your favorite essential oil
bring 5 cups of water to a boil, turn to med heat & slowly add the baking soda & epsom salt stirring constantly till dissolved (you may need to add more water) remove from heat. let cool & add to gallon just very slowly add the vinegar (it will fizz up & out if you go to fast) then very slowly add the lemon juice, then add your essential oils, fill jug the rest of the way with water. I add 1/2 cup to 1 cup per load.

More laundry ideas
Virgin Coconut Oil, Gold Label, 2-jar pack - 1 quart each

Baking soda deodorant
  • 1 part baking soda
  • 1 part corn starch, arrowroot or potato starch
  • 1 part raw coconut oil
  • add 5 to 20 drops of essential oil, mix & match (tea tree oil, lavender, lemon, orange, citrus etc)
  • Optional:
  • 1 tsp Terramin brand clay powder (might need to add a bit more coconut oil)
  • 5 to 10 drops of vitamin E or Wheat germ oil (might need to add extra corn starch)
Mix up & store in air tight container, rub under arms as deodorant as needed, this is like the best deodorant ever, my Teens love it

More DIY deodorant ideas

Baking soda Toothpaste
More toothpaste recipes here

Mix & store in air tight container, brush teeth as you normally would (raw coconut oil & more coconut oil)

More DIY Toothpaste ideas

More ideas & links for Baking soda

To pin this blog post on Pinterest

_______________________________________________________
The information on this site it intended for general inquiry, research & informational purposes only & should not be considered a substitute or replacement for trained medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Facebook Page: Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
You can also follow me on: Pinterest & Twitter & Google+
Thank you for supporting my Facebook pages, Blog & sharing with your friends.
Cheree of Natural & Frugal: Raising 6 kids
_______________________________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment